October 26, 2015

A walk in the woods.

The air is cold and damp. It is a sip of water for my parched spirit. Nothing satisfies. The storm is past, the rain is gone but heavy clouds linger. Still, I hear the dripping. Each leaf of the forest a tiny pool dipping drops of water into the next tiny pool, the myriad sounding like a downpour.

The red raincoat I wear is a cheerful movement in the damp grey of the road.

My mind turns to souls, to the brokenness and bondage...and worse, the deception.  We look at paintings thinking they are mirrors taking pride in the masterpiece of who we are.

I ache for reality, revelation, change. This can't be it, can it? There must be more!

Where are the great miracles? The healings? The overcoming victory?

In the end, no matter what the miracle or catastrophe is, people make their own choices. What a powerful testimony to the love of God...we have a WILL. We can do whatever we want and it is that that causes me such pain.

I stop to listen to the rain, a steady sound as in an actual downpour. Yet, here I stand on the edge of the forest completely dry.

Perhaps there is hope in this observation?

I pick up the pace and feel my legs burn with the intensity. The frogs croak a friendly song. But, the rain drips steadily, a cold wind pushes against me begging me to stay, "Don't go home." The forest roars a bit with the breeze. Were I not completely dry I might think I was walking in a storm.
 
 
My road


Thankful for color on a grey day.



Thankful for the sweet house I live in
and the people I share it with.



Thankful for warm fires to come home to,
and the boy who keeps it stoked.
 

Thankful for God's protection in the storm even if the storm is in my imagination.
I am not suffering, and yet I am.
I am not burdened, but my heart aches.
 
I am completely dry, but it is pouring right there...I can see it, I can hear it.

I am thankful for...

safety,
my job,
my car,
the checkmark indicating 'paid' next to all my bills,
the full fridge and pantry,
the health of my children,
my friends who consistently extend grace and forgiveness,
my family,

the forest with it's mysteries and lessons,

God is in control of all things.
I am thankful for the blood of Jesus that pays my debt...

That my name is written in the lamb's book of life.
 
 He has shown you, O man, what is good; And what does the LORD require of you
 But to do justly,
To love mercy,
And to walk humbly with your God.
Micah 6:8

2 comments:

Thank you for your kind comments. I love visiting with you and I hope you come again.