May 30, 2015

A near miss

Do you argue with God? 
Would you know that you were arguing if you did?

The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it? Jeremiah 17:9

Recently, while reading the familiar story about Lazarus, (John ch.11) I was struck by Martha. I thought to myself, “How could Martha argue with Jesus?”

Jesus said, Take ye away the stone. Martha, the sister of him that was dead, said unto him, Lord, by this time he stinks: for he has been dead for four days.

So what? Who cares? Did she know the heart of Jesus, or His plan? No, though she thought she did. Jesus wept. She knew He loved, she knew about the resurrection at the last day. She also knew that Jesus would receive anything He asked of God. And now, here is Jesus telling her to take away the stone, but instead of obeying him, she argues. She puts forth her practical thoughts, probably with a complaining wince.

Haven’t we been in the same situation? I have, thinking, “If God was going to do something great, it wouldn’t be so messy, it wouldn’t stink.” Or perhaps you have thought, again, as I have, “God, You are asking me to do something so pointless and impractical, nothing good could come out of it.”

Martha argued because her faith was in her beliefs and not in the Person of Jesus. After all, she knew Jesus personally; therefore, she could trust all of her ideas about him. Unfortunately, her mind was too small to fit the impossible.

And so, when He gave the command, she argued.

Thankfully, because of His kind mercy, He did not yield to Martha. He went on with the plan…the plan for Martha, Mary, Lazarus, and the entire town of Bethany. Martha did not miss out on the awesome miracle Jesus wanted to do, but she could have.

I wonder how many miracles we miss out on because we have our Lord all figured out. We think we know His plans so we argue or disobey when it doesn’t make sense to us. I don’t want to live like that.

I choose JESUS, Himself, not my ideas of Him. He can do whatever He wants; it is always for my good.

For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11


And he that searches the hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit…And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your kind comments. I love visiting with you and I hope you come again.