August 23, 2014

Quiet Time

I spend time with Charles Spurgeon every morning and evening. He has become a good friend over the years. I love his poetic way of sharing truths about my Lord. If you don't already know him well, I encourage you to also spend time with him. You can find his devotional online, but I prefer to have it as a book. The pages of my book have become curled and dogeared over the years.

This particular reading is such a beautiful picture of our Savior. If you only know Jesus intellectually, or your Christianity is a religion and not a relationship, you will miss most of the beauty and awe of his description. However, if you know Jesus personally, you will with me say, "Oh, yes, that is so true!" You will smile, you may laugh and you will be encouraged to remember all the good things about our Lord.

"The unsearchable riches of Christ" 
Ephesians 3:8

My Master has riches beyond the count of arithmetic, the measurement of reason, the dream of imagination, or the eloquence of words. They are unsearchable! You may look, and study, and weigh, but Jesus is a greater Saviour than you think Him to be when your thoughts are at the greatest. My Lord is more ready to pardon than you to sin, more able to forgive than you to transgress. My Master is more willing to supply your wants than you are to confess them. Never tolerate low thoughts of my Lord Jesus. When you put the crown on His head, you will only crown Him with silver when He deserves gold. My Master has riches of happiness to bestow upon you now. He can make you to lie down in green pastures, and lead you beside still waters. There is no music like the music of His pipe, when He is the Shepherd and you are the sheep, and you lie down at His feet. There is no love like His, neither earth nor heaven can match it. To know Christ and to be found in Him-oh! this is life, this is joy, this is marrow and fatness, wine on the lees well refined. My Master does not treat His servants churlishly; He gives to them as a king giveth to a king; He gives them two heavens-a heaven below in serving Him here, and a heaven above in delighting in Him for ever. His unsearchable riches will be best known in eternity. He will give you on the way to heaven all you need; your place of defence shall be the munitions of rocks, your bread shall be given you, and your waters shall be sure; but it is there, THERE, where you shall hear the song of them that triumph, the shout of them that feast, and shall have a face-to-face view of the glorious and beloved One. The unsearchable riches of Christ! This is the tune for the minstrels of earth, and the song for the harpers of heaven. Lord, teach us more and more of Jesus, and we will tell out the good news to others.

Spurgeon, Aug 22, Evening

Perhaps you don't agree with Spurgeon. Perhaps you have endured great hardship or you are heavy with guilt or shame. Perhaps you have an offense against God, blaming Him for your hard life or the hard life of a friend.

In this world you will have tribulation... (John 16:33)

What do you think about that? We may acknowledge this fact, but when we live it we are still amazed. We are confused when tribulation comes into our life. We are confused because what we really believe is "In this world THEY will have tribulation..."

Nope. It says YOU will, I will. Then it continues, "BUT be of good cheer! I have overcome the world." Take time out with me and consider what good cheer is. I think of people giving toasts, of smiling, of patting one another on the back. What do you think of? Have you ever given a toast when tribulation has come into your life? I laugh out loud at the idea. Good cheer is that last thing I experience. But the Bible doesn't say feel good cheer, it says BE of good cheer. Choose it. Decide it. Why? Because the tribulation is so wonderful? No, because HE has overcome the world, tribulation and all.


4 comments:

  1. I also enjoy Charles Spurgeon but I don't tend to read him on a daily bases, just now and again. It can be so hard to be of good cheer when the day is bad, but just getting through the day is enough to praise the Lord and remember to be cheerful and joyful.

    Is that a photo of a lilac - I love these flowers and the scent is magical :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Jo, it is a lilac, one of my favorite flowers. Actually I love them all, I don't have a favorite. Thank God His mercies are new every morning.

      Delete
  2. So true Laura. We (I included) base my happiness on how I feel...but the joy that is in my soul runs deeper than feelings and comes from God in good times and bad. He rewards those who do good...but for those who truly love Jesus doing good is it's own reward. If I don't"get my way" it is because my ways are not His ways...and praise God for that because He does everything right and I do not. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan thanks for your comment. I think also when we remember that our life is hid with Christ in God we can choose not to take everything so personally. Hope you are well.

      Delete

Thank you for your kind comments. I love visiting with you and I hope you come again.