May 22, 2014

Raising a son

Nine year old Noah jumped into the back seat and locked the door.

"Mom, something terrible happened in class today!"

Worried, I scanned for blood. I looked at him through the rear view mirror. "What? Are you O.K.?"

He had a smirk on his face. "Well, not terrible, just weird. And I'm not gonna tell anybody!!"

Now I was intrigued. I knew my Super Mom powers would eventually wrestle the information out of him. The girls clamored to get in the car. Noah continued to declare that he would tell no one the weird thing that happened at choir practice.

Finally, I ventured,  "Noah, did the weird thing involve a girl?"

"Yeah!! She just kept staring at me!"

"So, what did you do?" I asked.

He explained, "I told her, 'Why are you staring at me?' and she said 'Because I like you!'"

His sisters giggled. I said, "Ah, it's just the beginning my son!"

"Ew, gross!" he answered, but he was grinning from ear to ear.

~oOo~

Winter is over, but here is a story that may repeat itself when the cold weather returns.

Mom: "Noah, go out and bring in some wood then start the fire."

Twenty-six minutes later Noah came in the door with two small logs in his arms.

Mom questioned: "It took you half an hour to bring in two logs? What's up?"

Noah: "I was checking for spiders."

Mom, sternly looking at her watch: "You have three minutes to bring six logs in one load. GO!"

With a whine and a shout of "HEY!" Noah dashed out the door quickly returning with a heavy load of six logs. He looked wounded as he dumped them near the hearth.

Mom: "Please don't bring in a load smaller than six logs. You're strong, you're tough and you are not afraid of spiders."

Noah: "Yes, Mom."

~oOo~

The toilet seat broke. I brought home a new one but it was the wrong size. I thought it best to bring Noah back with me to Home Depot. While I stood in line at the return desk, Noah took the broken seat slung over his shoulder to the plumbing department. I saw from a distance an older man in an orange apron question him.

"What did the man say to you?" I asked Noah when he met me at the register.

"He asked if I knew what I was doing."

"How did you answer?"

"I said, 'of course I do.'"

Back at home, without any instruction, Noah fixed the broken seat. What a little man!

~oOo~

On my Facebook this week:

Recently, I introduced my children to a new friend. She said to Noah, "So you must be the baby of the family!"

Indignant, he replied, "No, Ma'am! I'm the man of the house!"




"Between the innocence of babyhood 
and the dignity of manhood, 
we find a delightful creature of a boy."

4 comments:

  1. Oh, how I love this post. Having raised three boys, I was smiling all the while I was reading your accounts. Yay for Noah! (Betty)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty, I didn't include the story about his velvet jacket and comb or his pockets which are often full of candy he shares freely. This is most likely the reason the little girl likes Noah.

      Delete
  2. Oh!!! I love your boy. PRECIOUS. He is always making me smile. I wish I could harness his boy energy, I have a lot of ways I could use it. But, I think the best way would be to bottle and sell it. He never stops moving. LOVE THAT BOY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sister in law has three boys, now all grown. She told me of a story just recently of one of her sons She told me that he had been to camp several times as a youngster, and that he always loved to tell about everything that happened when he came back from camp...however there was one time, when he was 10 yrs old, that he came back and refused to talk about it, and still refuses to mention it to this day. Makes us wonder....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind comments. I love visiting with you and I hope you come again.