April 6, 2014

No Policing!

Did I tell you the children and I went to California in February? Full of family and freeways, we had a brief yet happy visit.

While we were there, I picked up an unwelcome souvenir - a ticket for running a stop sign.

I'm innocent, I tell you! Sort of.

O.K., I'm guilty, but only by a slight technicality.

I stopped with the nose of my car over the line. Watching diligently over that white line was a diligent policeman, diligent to make his ticket quota.

Oblivious to any living soul driving, he was intent on fenders and wheels doing right.

I pleaded my case...I was from out of state, I didn't know the area, I was trying to find an obscure address, I was in a rental car, there were too many stop signs, how was anyone supposed to get anywhere with all the stopping?!

He didn't acknowledge me in the slightest, just issued my ticket and hollered, "Pay attention!" He left me abruptly to diligently oversee another white line. Oh, for a radar gun to get him for speeding!

That technicality cost me big and put me on alert for the rest of the week.

I am thankful for the experience.

My new parenting tool lately has been: "No Policing!"

It's not good for a family to have everyone looking and waiting for opportunities to give tickets. Yes, sisters will forget to be kind. Yes, brothers will be too rough or accidentally knock down school books. Mother will change plans suddenly and expect the children to be flexible. We are all guilty. But not all guilt is a time to issue decrees and exact fines. It may be a time for GRACE.

"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:"

"We are justified freely by His Grace" and so, I tell my loveys "Freely you have received, freely give!"

Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins. 1 Peter 4:8



6 comments:

  1. Hi, where in california did you go? Did you enjoy your california trip?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alicia! We went to Los Angeles and Sacramento. It was great. We visited with our family and the girls and I went to Disneyland. Noah, unfortunately got sick and couldn't go, but he enjoyed a couple rounds of golf when he got home. It rained the whole time we were there...so much for California sunshine! :)

      Delete
  2. It's so easy to lapse into the "policeman" (read Pharisee) role. The Pharisees knew (know) all the laws and uphold everyone other than themselves (myself) to those laws to the Nth degree, and see themselves (myself) as "better than most". Hypocrites! We all have that same quality. The word means "actors". We all act the part of being better than everyone else...but Jesus sees behind that mask, the mask that we can fool most people (maybe?) even (especially?) ourselves with.

    God grant us grace, the grace to be as gracious to others as He has been with us. Thanks for the parable, and the needed reminder. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan~ I knew you would catch the deeper meaning! You always do. Thanks for your comment. Did you notice the "being on alert all week" is like living a life of fear? Constant judgement robs our brothers and sisters of their joy and freedom in Christ.

      Delete
  3. I LOVE it! Such a good policy. I think we might try that here. So much better to love one another. We all need grace don't we? Love you, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I read this the other day I had to smile. I had to break suddenly and the nose of my car was well over the line - thankfully there were no police in sight to witness this.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind comments. I love visiting with you and I hope you come again.