March 9, 2014

Love is patient

I could hear the rumble of a storm brewing upstairs. Here we go again! I quickly prayed for wisdom to handle the next case in my courtroom.

"You can't tell me what to do! You're not the boss of me!"

"Hey, that's mine! You can't just take it!"

"Ow! That hurts! You can't do whatever you want!"

"MOM!"

I'm trusting these are common statements in your home if you have children. If not, welcome to the Santos Family.

She stood on the hearth and presented her argument to me. "Well, Mom, she can't just tell me what to do and always take my stuff without asking!"

"Yes, she can." I answered.

She looked at me with a look of disgust, and fear...fear there is no justice to be found. Her eyes seemed to say "If Mom is against me, I'm doomed."

"Lovey, people choose to do what they want. If they choose to do evil, that is their choice. God has given us all a will. It's a gift and we can do with it whatever we want. You have the same choice, to do good or evil."

Poor child. She looked hopeless.

I continued. "Now, there are consequences for bad choices and there are rewards for good choices...but it's not always immediate. However, in the end, God is just and He is the judge of all."

There was a pause as I let her think about this.

I said, "This injustice that you are experiencing is not so much a chance to judge your sister as a chance to love your sister."

"Mom! You never understand! I hate her!"

"Do you think I have never hated before?"

I proceeded to share one or two of my own injustices and then, more importantly the injustices of our Lord Jesus Christ. I suggested how she might handle the next one that came along and, of course, I talked with the offender also. Somehow, we got through that case - for the moment.

It will come up again. These things are not learned all at once, but rather "line upon line, precept upon precept, here a little, there a little."

I'm reminded of the words of Jesus, "And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold."

Ain't that the truth!

There is so much evil and perversion in our world, in our own circles, even in our own homes.

I think our love grows cold because we are impatient. Sure, there are probably a thousand other reasons, but this is a big one, the main one in my opinion. Everyone seems to be making bad choices, we are hurt,  we think "let's just take care of ourselves...forget everyone else." We are self-centered and believe the lie "I'm the only one that matters!"

The first quality of Love is long-suffering, patience. We don't want to wait on our children to learn. So, the result is that we deny grace and give out criticism and punishment instead.

We don't want to wait on our husbands to love us, so we nag, manipulate or complain. I'm living this first hand. In a safe place where I no longer endure certain hardships, however,  I am still waiting. Until there is a divorce, or death, I am his wife.

Would that I could cut the rope and find love elsewhere! Isn't that the common solution...why more than half of all marriages end in divorce?

Is it really love if we have not endured an injustice from another? Beloved, let us love one another for love is of God.

"By this shall all men know that you are my disciples, by your love for one another." John 13:35

"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13


waiting, waiting, waiting.


At last!

And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not. Galatians 6:9

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful post, Laura. The amazing thing is that once the waiting has ended, the gift we receive is so much better than we ever expect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope this is true Anna. To tell you the truth, there are some things I have been waiting on so long that I don't have any expectation. God is my expectation now and I trust He is enough!

      Delete
  2. Very good reminder! I've been trying to encourage my kids in matters of grace, and often I feel overwhelmed in the process, or really convicted about my own lack of it with others!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sally, I am always convicted by this! My daughter was really saying what I always believe..."You can't do that!" But, we can't control others, we can only offer our OWN bodies, and renew our OWN minds, etc., running our OWN race set before us. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  3. I think our love grows cold because we are impatient....

    Selfishness? Oh my, yes.
    So much to learn/unlearn. O to be LIKE Christ! As if it should be easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melanie~I was just thinking so many people are no longer attending church for the same reason, iniquity abounding, love waxing cold. We don't love each other enough to meet with one another...looking only to receive and not to give when we go to church.

      It's not easy, but when we know (and especially when we experience) His great Love for us, it isn't hard! Loves,

      Delete

Thank you for your kind comments. I love visiting with you and I hope you come again.